Scrambled Tofu with Sauteed Veggies and a Black Bean Patty

One of my favorite breakfasts before going vegan scrambled eggs. I loved how filling, cheap, quick and versatile they were. Recently, I found my plant version, scrambled tofu! I had always eaten tofu as a child. Growing up in a poor family, often times all we had to eat in the house was just a big block of tofu. My favorite way of eating the tofu was straight out of the fridge sprinkled with a little bit of soy sauce and sesame oil. I'm sure you'll find scrambled tofu every bit as satisfying as scrambled eggs without the cholesterol and guilt associated with it. Here goes!


This recipe calls for a black bean sausage I had made in a previous recipe. You can use any veggie patty you wish, or omit altogether! Here, I cooked them in the air fryer for 10 minutes on each side.


To accompany my tofu scramble, I like make fresh veggies cooked to slight al dente in a little bit of water. Here, I have red bell peppers, zucchini, and red onions.


For this recipe, I use a firm tofu. I simply drain the tofu and crumble it with my fingers until it is a scrambled egg consistency. A lot of people use tumeric to flavor their scrambled tofu. I find the taste of tumeric a little flat. For this recipe, I use a little white miso, nutritional yeast and curry. This combination gives the scrambled tofu just the right amount of salty sweetness and flavor kick the tofu lacks by itself. I make sure to mix that mixture in with the tofu thoroughly before cooking.


I start by sauteeing the onions on a medium heat in a little bit of water. The onions need a little bit of a head start. After most of the water evaporates, I add the rest of the vegetables and add more water. I saute until the veggies are mostly done with a little bit of a bite still left to them. This time, I had to add water twice as when the water evaporated, the veggies were still under cooked. A little salt and pepper help to bring out the fresh flavor of these veggies. I take these perfectly cooked veggies and put them onto my serving dish.


Next, I take the seasoned tofu crumble and put it into my hot pan. To help warm the tofu and help the flavors meld, I add a little bit of water and simmer the tofu, stirring for about 5 minutes. And I'm done! I add a little fresh cracked pepper to the scramble and it's ready to plate!


Here, the scramble and sauteed veggies are shown with the black bean patty and a freshly sliced avocado. This breakfast is not only delicious but will also give you the energy you need to go through the day! 

SCRAMBLED TOFU WITH SAUTEED VEGGIES AND A BLACK BEAN PATTY:
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
Total time: 20 min
Servings: 1
Calories: 681
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 block of firm tofu
  • black bean patties, cooked 10 minutes on each side
  • 1 cups of chopped zucchini
  • 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
  • 1/2 cup of red onions diced
  • 1/2 avocado pitted and sliced
  • 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp of white miso
  • 1 tsp of curry powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Crumble the firm tofu into a bowl and add the nutritional yeast, white miso and curry powder. Mix thoroughly with fingers or a spoon and set aside.
  2. Put the diced onions into a saute pan with enough water to cover the onions. 
  3. Cook on a medium heat and stir occasionally until the water is evaporated.
  4. Add the rest of the vegetables to the pan and add enough water to cover. Season with a little salt and pepper. 
  5. Stir occasionally until the vegetables are to the desired doneness. Add additional water if pan gets too dry.
  6. Remove veggies to serving plate. 
  7. Return the pan to the heat and add the crumbled tofu. Add enough water to just moisten the tofu. 
  8. Stir constantly until the tofu is evenly mixed and heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
  9. Add the tofu to the serving plate and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with half a sliced avocado and black bean patty. Tastes great with ketchup and sriracha. 
What do you think of this recipe? I'd love to hear your comments and questions!
Peace, love and abundance!

Comments

Popular Posts