Barbeque Chik-n Tempeh in the Pressure Cooker

One thing about becoming vegan is that I occassionally want to eat something that somewhat ressembles the meat that I used to eat. I'm not saying I ever crave meat. I just miss that texture that meat has that vegetables lack. There are plenty of fake meat options out there. However, knowing what I know about isolated soy proteins and its effects on health, I try to keep eating fake meats to a minimum. 

I've read a lot about this "tempeh" product. It's a fermented soy bean product that is very high in protein and is supposed to be better for you than tofu. I decided I'd give it a try. Here's my first attempt at barbeque "chik-n" tempeh.


This recipe is so easy. With the help from the store, I used store bought bbq sauce, vegetable broth and tempeh. All of these ingredients can be made at home from scratch, but alas, not today.


Tempeh is somewhat like something out of a sci-fi movie. Its made by innoculating cooked soybeans with a type of mold. Quite trippy. I tasted a bit of it in it's raw state. Has a funky bitter taste. I went ahead and cut the tempeh into  strips. They will plump up when they're cooked.


I turned to my trusty pressure cooker for this task. Tempeh needs to be either steamed or boiled  to get rid of the bitter taste. I added the vegetable broth and let the pressure cooker do its job.


After 10 minutes on high pressure and 10 minutes natural release, I did a quick release to let all of the excess steam out.



You can tell the tempeh has plumped up after it's short time cooking. Make sure to be super gentle when removing the tempeh, as it is very fragile.

 

I blotted them with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and placed them onto foil. Then I slathered them with an organic vegan bbq sauce.

 

I decided to use my air fryer to finish cooking the tempeh. All I wanted to do was brown the bbq sauce and give the tempeh a crispy texture. The air fryer is the perfect appliance for the job. No need to pre-heat or add extra oil and no clean-up. One tip I have with the air fryer is to use it under the hood with the vent fan on. I learned the hard way cooking with it for the first time when my fire alarm went off. It didn't take long to cook and I flipped halfway through and slathered sauce on both sides.


The result looks almost like the real thing. It's delicious and so good for you. Use it in salads, sandwiches or anywhere you would use real chicken breast strips.

ONE POT PRESSURE COOKER VEGGIE PASTA:
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 10 min
Total time: 30 min
Servings: 2

Ingredients:
  • 1 jar of organic vegan bbq sauce
  • 1 package of organic tempeh
  • 1 quart of vegan vegetable broth
Instructions
  1. Slice tempeh into desired sized slices.
  2. Put tempeh slices into pressure cooker and cover with enough vegetable broth to immerse the tempeh completely.
  3. Cook under high pressure for 10 minutes with natural pressure release set at 10 minutes.
  4. Carefully remove tempeh with a slotted spoon and place onto paper towels to dry.
  5. Place tempeh onto foil and slather with bbq sauce.
  6. Cook in an air fryer on high for 10 minutes on each side, making sure to slather with bbq sauce on the other side when flipping. 

Comments

Popular Posts